Monter and Fairy Definitions

MONSTERˈmänstər/
noun
1.an imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening.
synonyms: giant, mammoth, colossus, leviathan, titan; informal jumbo
"he's a monster of a man"
an inhumanly cruel or wicked person.
"he was an unfeeling, treacherous monster"
synonyms: brute, fiend, beast, devil, demon, barbarian, savage, animal; More
humorous
a person, typically a child, who is rude or badly behaved.
"Christopher is only a year old, but already he is a little monster"
synonyms: rascal, imp, monkey, wretch, devil; More
a thing or animal that is excessively or dauntingly large.
"this is a monster of a book, almost 2,000 pages"
a congenitally malformed or mutant animal or plant.
verb

BRITISH informal
verb: monster; 3rd person present: monsters; past tense: monstered; past participle: monstered;
gerund or present participle: monstering
1.criticize or reprimand severely.
"my mother used to monster me for coming home so late"


FAIRY ˈferē/
noun
plural noun: fairies
1.a small imaginary being of human form that has magical powers, especially a female one.
synonyms: sprite, pixie, elf, imp, brownie, puck, leprechaun; literaryfaerie, fay
"we were gleefully certain that little fairies inhabited our woods"

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sea Creatures and a Squirrel

       
     The Loch Ness Monster, Champ, Muc-sheilch, Morag, Lomond Monster, and Ogopogo are just some of the legendary lake and loch sea creatures. I believe the word "Monster" should be dropped from the name of Loch Ness Monster.  Only the first historical account in 565 AD noted the creature as dangerous. St. Columba's sighting of the creature was put to paper one hundred years after the event. Please google St. Columba for the entire event or visit www.Christianity.  After reading the story of how fiercely the creature of Loch Ness went after a man, I remembered an encounter I had with a squirrel. I was staying in a cabin at Yosemite National Park in California.
    A squirrel was furiously scratching at the window to get inside my cabin. The squirrel had managed to get stuck between the window and the screen. The screen had a rather large hole in it. I thought I would help the squirrel by gently guiding it back through the hole in the screen with a walking stick.  After a few minutes I guided the squirrel to the hole so I walked outside to help the squirrel all the way out.  I thought the squirrel and I were having a moment.

      However, the squirrel did not see it that way. The squirrel lunged at me in a what I thought was a completely unprovoked attack.
     Yes, I quickly understood the squirrel did not appreciate "my help." I believe Nessie felt she(?) was under attack from the men.  I think she may have been given the name monster unfairly.  I think the men were aggressive with the creature and then surprised when she (?) did not remain docile. 
     I came to this conclusion because in none of the other sightings is the Loch Ness creature ever referred to as dangerous. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment